The known mining potential on the 40% of the territory where the researches were carried out can be schematically presented on the map of the mineral resources below:
Fig.1: map of mineral resources of Cameroon
The summary of the different mining titles can be summarized in the table above:
Table 1: Securities and licenses in progress
Some of these titles are the subject of major projects, such as:
Cobalt / Nickel
The Cobalt-Nickel deposit in Lomié is a world-class deposit.
The promoter is GEOVIC. It is envisaged the following works:
– The field work revealed a number of mining indices including the Cobalt Index, Nickel Maganese Nkamouna, North Mag, South Mang, Messea, Kondong, Mada and Rapojombo;
– 2002, signing of a mining convention;
– 2003, a mining license valid for Cobalt, Nickel and related substances is awarded to Géovic Cameroun;
– Drilling works and reserves estimated at 68 million tonnes with the content:
– Cobalt: 0.26% (2.6 kg Co per tonne of ore);
– nickel: 0.66%;
– Manganese: 1.48%.
– Cobalt is associated with several other metals (Ni, Mn, Fe, Al) in a mineral called ASBOLANE, which makes its complex treatment
– Annual production envisaged: 4160 tonnes of cobalt, 3280 tonnes of nickel, 45 000 tonnes of manganese;
– Project cost: US $ 400 million;
– The construction of the mine (cost estimated at 380 M USD) which is in progress;
– Direct jobs: 300 to 400.
Six indices and deposits of bauxite have been highlighted at:
– Minim-Martap: Bauxite resources are estimated at more than one billion tonnes at an average grade of 41.3% alumina.
– Ngaoundal: Bauxite resources are estimated at 120 million tonnes at an average grade of 41-43% alumina.
Minimal Martap and Ngaoundal Bauxite Project
- Promoting Company: Cameroon Alumina Limited (CAL);
- estimated resources: 500-700 Million tons;
- mining convention under development;
- estimated project cost: $ 5 to $ 6 billion;
- envisaged jobs: 2500 to 3000 direct jobs.
– Fongo Tongo: This is a research permit under exploration, but we know at least the level of resources which is 46 million with an average content of 47% of alumina.
Approximately 25 targets and deposits were identified, including the three major deposits:
Mamelles: The iron resources are estimated at 340 million tonnes at 35% iron oxide. The promoter of this license is SINOSTELL CAM.
– Mbalam: the iron resources are estimated at 220 million tons, these resources were the subject of the signing of a convention in November 2012.
– Promoter of the project: CAM IRON SA (subsidiary of Australian Sundance Resources);
– Production and export of 35 million tonnes (DSO) from the iron ores of Mbalam and Nabeba (see Project Brief);
– Project cost: About $ 3.5 billion;
– Jobs envisaged: 10,000 direct jobs.
– Nkout: iron resources are estimated at:
– 1.19 billion tonnes (indicated resources);
– $ 1.33 billion (inferred resources);
– 25 million tonnes (DSO).
The promoter of this license is CAMINEX.
– Artisanal exploitation in the border area with the CAR;
– Other diamond regions are Ketté, Boubara, Lom, Boumbe 2, Betare Oya, Yokadouma and Gari Gombo;
– Several indices are found in the Dja series (eg Mobilong);
– Promoter of the project: C & K mining company;
– Current situation: finalized certification work;
– Beginning of the first export: January 2013.
– The diamond deposit is of the order of 750 million carats (geological estimate).
– Planned investment: 250 million Euro over 25 years.
At least 140 targets have been detected mainly in the series:
– the Lom series,
– the Mbere series,
– the furrow of Mayo Rey.
Gold mining project:
– African Aura Resources (UK): The company is in the exploration phase and has research permits in several regions such as Batouri, Tcholliré, Akonolinga or Rey-Bouba;
– FMRC (Fametal Mining Resources Cameroon) (China) is in exploration phase at Mang, Boulou, Mompwe (East);
– Caminco (South Africa) has gold exploration permits in the North.
Other precious stones
Sapphire concentrations are found in the Adamaoua region, particularly in Tignère, Manfé, the Munya and Nsananarikati rivers.
There is also the presence of tin in Mayo Darle.
– Rare earths
In the south-east of the country, there is the presence of rare earth (monazite) in the river Dja.
Opportunities associated with the mining sector
Other business opportunities will certainly be created around this exploration work and the opening of the mine. It is :
- Laboratory (planned to be built and equipped by Korea;
- Infrastructures (port, roads, etc.);
- Manufacture of cartridges and explosives. Long-term development of a processing industry.
The mining code provides for at least 15% processing of ores produced on the spot, this will allow the development and implementation of the transformation project of Iron, Cobalt, Nikel, Alumina (FECONA).
Opportunities on the 60% of the national territory that have not yet been studied
This 60% is therefore free for potential investors in terms of mining research.
This mining potential is mainly located in the 40% of the national territory, where the exploration was conducted. It remains to do research on the remaining 60%.
Exploitation of these resources will foster the emergence of the mining sector, which will truly position itself as a driver of the revival of growth.
“Moreover, the development of the mining sector through its spillover effects on the rural sector and its relative importance in the economic structure of the country, constitutes an important anchor around which the creation of wealth and jobs, as well as the fight against poverty “
Guest on line
We have 49 guests and no members online
- Camwater gets new board chair
- 30 municipalities join move to address poor energy access, climate change
- Gov’t step up actions to ensure constant water, energy supply 2019
- Local, Regional invoice structures urged to adapt to new finance law
- Program of the annual conference 2018 23 January 2019
- International Call for Expression of Interest for the granting of mining titles on the rutile block of Akonolinga, 29 October 2018
- Ambassador of the Republic of China received by MINMIDT 13 September 2018
- Presentation of the project to build a van assembly plant 12 September 2018
- Présentation de l’évolution des travaux du projet de forage par la société Tower Resources 12 September 2018